We need someone who is willing to put in the time and effort, do the work with love and care, and stick around for the long haul. If you’re someone just looking for some editing experience for a few months, to add to your CV, please do not apply. We need someone that is as passionate about this journal as we are, and that wants to help us succeed in our mission: to give the vignette, a hopelessly forgotten literary form, the exposure and credit it deserves.
Do you want to make history with us? We plan to be around for a very long time.
This is what we would expect from you:
- Read and evaluate up to 150 prose or poetry submissions per submission period (every six months), create a shortlist of submissions, and supply feedback on at least 10% that did not make your cut. (Note: prose word limit is 800, but they are usually much shorter.)
- Read and offer your opinion on our Annual Vignette Collection Award entries (starting next June).
- Be excellent at keeping to deadlines.
- Have a Facebook and Twitter account in which you will use to help promote the journal, the craft blog, the review blog, The Artist Unleashed, and any other announcements related to the journal.
These tasks will take, at most, three hours of your time per week. The work can be done from home and from anywhere in the world.
Please note that this is a volunteer position. All staff at Vine Leaves are volunteers. Any money made is put straight back into the journal.
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, with 'Prose Editor Application' or 'Poetry Editor Application' in the subject line:
- Cover letter explaining why you wish to work for Vine Leaves and how you would be an asset to us
- Your CV
- A link to a published article you’ve written (from a website other than your own)
- A link to a published piece of fiction or poetry
- A vignette sample (poetry or prose) either published or unpublished
Applications close Friday, April 29, 2016. Skype interviews will be held in late May/early June.