We're looking for a dedicated and vignette-loving Assistant Editor to help us navigate our impressive submissions, starting April, 2014.
We need someone who is willing to put in the time and effort, do the work with love and care, and stick around for the long haul. If you’re someone just looking for some editing experience for a few months, to add to your CV, please do not apply. We need someone that is as passionate about this journal as we are, and that wants to help us succeed in our mission: to give the vignette, a hopelessly forgotten literary form, the exposure and credit it deserves.
Do you want to make history with us? We plan to be around for a very long time.
This is what we would expect from you:
- Read and evaluate 150 prose submissions per submission period, create a shortlist of submissions, and supply feedback on at least 10% that did not make your cut. (Note: prose word limit is 800, but they are usually much shorter.)
- Read and offer your opinion on our Annual Vignette Collection Award entries (starting next round).
- Proofread the designed issues, and the annual anthology, for formatting and typesetting errors.
- Be excellent at working to deadlines.
- Have a Facebook and Twitter account in which you will use to help promote the quarterly journal, the craft blog, the review blog, and any other announcements related to the journal.
These tasks will take, at most, three hours of your time per week. The work can be done from home anywhere in the world. Please note that this is a volunteer position. All staff at Vine Leaves are volunteers. Any money made is put straight back into the journal.
If you think you’re the right person for the job, please email Jessica Bell: jessbell(dot)vineleaves(at)gmail(dot)com, with your CV. In addition, explain in the body of your email why you believe you would be an asset to the journal.